Every good celebration needs fireworks. But, even if it is raining or there is nothing to celebrate, these firecracker shrimp will compliment and add a KICK to any occasion.
- 20 frozen jumbo/large shrimp, deveined, tail-on
- 10 egg roll wrappers
- Oil for frying
- 1 tbsp of flour with a little water
- (make a paste of this to help seal the wrapping)
- 3 tbsp of chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Seasame Oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- zest & juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1- 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a shallow bowl or zip lock bag, add the chilli garlic sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, zest & juice of 1/2 lime and sugar.
- Sprinkle shrimp with salt an pepper.
- Toss the shrimp in the bowl or bag and coat them well in the marinade. Cover and place the marinated shrimp in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- THE LONGER THEY SIT, THE HOTTER THEY GET
- Slice the egg roll wrappers in half, creating 20 triangle pieces.
- Place a shrimp on left side of the wrapper with the tail sticking out and fold over the left corner wrapping the shrimp as tightly as you can.
- Then fold the top corner down, making sure to cover the top end of the shrimp.Roll the shrimp as tightly as possible and as straight as you can manage until there’s just a little corner left.
- Using your finger apply a little of the flour paste to the corner of the wrapper and seal it.
*Repeat for all shrimp*
- In a pan, add about an inch or so of oil to fry the shrimp.(I suggest use a deep fryer if you have one, but have enough oil to cover at least 3/4 of the shrimp if not the whole shrimp is all you really need) Heat the oil through on medium-high.
- Fry the shrimp in small batches depending on the size of your pan/ deep fryer and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Now once you’ve finished marvel at these little beauties! The flaky wrappers and tender shrimp are a perfect combo. Serve with a sweet and spicy sauce and enjoy.